The 2011 Eastern Open will be held on December 27-30 at the DC City Center Westin Hotel. Go to the Web site at easternopenchess.com.
We had a great time last year and hope your members will join us again. The Eastern Open should be fun again this year with over 60 prizes and $16,500 in prize money.
Here are the key features:
- 7 rounds: With 40/2 and SD/1 time controls
- 4 sections: Open, U2200, U1900, and U1600
- 2 schedules: 4-day option: Rd. 1 begins at 7:00 pm on 12/27; 12/28-30: 10 am & 5 pm
- Class prizes: For every 100-point interval within each section
- Upset Prizes: 4 prizes given in each round 1st = $50; 2nd = $25; 3rd/4th = book prizes
- Special prizes: Best Played Game, Brilliancy, and Best Opening Innovation
- Warmup Tourney: December 27th, Open & U1800 sections, 4 Rds, 10:30 am-6 pm, G/45, $2,500
- Blitz Tournament: December 28th at 10:30pm, 5-Rd double swiss, G/5, $1,200
- Lecture: On December 27th at 4 pm, FM Allan Savage will talk about Larsen’s Legacy
- Evening rounds: On December 28-30, rounds will begin at 5 pm so that players can make Metro subway connections after the game
- Hotel Rates: $79/night!! At the beautiful DC City Center Westin Hotel
Warmest regards, Tom Beckman Eastern Open Executive Director